Business networking for Information Technology is one of the most effective marketing and prospecting method you can use to grow your business. But if done incorrectly, it can be harmful to your business.
Business networking is a lot more than giving out business cards. It is about building trust. For Information Technology the networking is a lot more than meeting people. It is about connecting with the right people.
Business networking is a lot more than collecting phone numbers. It is about staying in touch, about listening, addressing needs and looking for opportunities all at the same time.
How To Find A Job In Singapore - Expats Working Abroad
It is how as a Information Technology we approach relevant business networking sessions that makes it work for us. Networking is about being authentic and genuine, building relationships and trust, and helping others. Although increased sales is the end goal, don’t participate in business networking to sell.
Build relationships and sales will follow naturally. People have to trust you before they’ll do business with you or refer you. Relationship capital is an immensely valuable part of business success. Put your energy, intention and attention on business networking.
Networking may not be enjoyable to some people but we can always make it fun and profitable for businesses. The following are just some of my tips to share with you how you can get the most out of your next networking session:
1. Know the location -It helps to know where the event is going to be held beforehand. It is both frustrating and embarrassing to appear in the wrong place and keep calling the host who is busy talking to his / her guest.
2. Always arrive early - If you can follow this, you will make it as a top networker in no time. I always respect people who turn up not only on time, but well before the event starts. Arriving early is not only for show, you can have a great opportunity by connecting with the host and guest speakers (if any).
3. Bring more name cards -Bringing more name cards can make a difference at times. In a professional business event, it is embarrassing to tell people that you run out of name cards. If the event is expecting 100 people, bring 150 name cards. You will need them for something you will not expect - lucky draws, subscriptions and unexpected turnouts etc.
4. Get to know the host - Most networking events are hosted by certain organization and associations, part of the reason to arrive early is also to have time to talk to the host and tell them what you do (if this is the first meetup). As a host, we respect people who turn up early. This is also an excellent time asking the host if they know of someone who can help or work hand in hand with your business.
5. Find out who will be attending the event - This works if you have a way to know who will be attending the event. If the event is displayed via Facebook or Meetup.com, then you will be able to know who may be attending (via the guest list). After you know who will be attending, spend some time going through their websites and prepare some small talk topic when you meet them. You may even find a common interest between you and the person that will be attending the event =)
6. Prepare your 10 seconds 'what you do' pitch - To be honest, no one is interested in what you do in most networking events. If you fail to impress people during the initial 10 seconds of interaction, you will have to work harder to make yourself memorable. One tip I have here is to stress on the benefit when people ask 'What you do for a living?'. If you are an Accountant, don't reply saying that you are an accountant, just mention that you help businesses to cut down as much as 20% (or some statistics that is realistic) of their costs. An Entrepreneur with common sense will be eager to hear more and ask you how they can do that!
7. It is better to overdress - If you can't figure out the dress code for the event, just dress formally. It won't hurt by overdressing in most events. Appearing in formal dress code also signifies that you respect the host and VIPs of the event. Overdress will also make you memorable for most people especially the host.
8. Advertising Zone? - It is also important to ask the organizer if there is any way to share the benefits that your business will bring to the attendees on the event. Some business networking events will have some sort of 'Advertising Zone' that allows you to place your marketing materials for exposure. Some even have business booth.
9. Identifying the top 3 trades you need - Most businesses cannot survive on their own without forming alliances with leads flowing from one to another. For example, Corporate Services Provider works pretty well with Web Designers, IT Support Companies and Accountants. You need to place the top 3 trades that you are looking for on top of your mind at all times. Doing so will make it easier for you to connect with someone who is in the trade that you are looking for on any networking event.
10. Find out and participate in the event theme - Some monthly or Bi-monthly events do organize networking themes at times. For example, an event may request everyone to turn up with red-white theme in the month of Aug (Singapore National Day). Have fun and participate in the theme for the event. Participating in the theme also show that you are giving support to the host or organizer.
Sounds easy? Try them out in your next networking opportunity!
Identify which networking events you should attend. Pick groups that’ll help you achieve your goals. Find venues that make sense for your business. When you register for an event, schedule it like a meeting.
Determine how often you should be networking. How many times in a week, month, or quarter? Visit as many groups as possible.
Attend events with a plan and always try to learn something new. Prepare yourself for the event. Develop open-ended questions to ignite a conversation. Bring business cards but don’t give your business card to everyone you meet. Give cards to those who ask you for it. Try to sit with strangers. Don’t forget to mingle.
Benefits Of Business Networking
Keep track of people you meet. Keep in touch with them and deepen your emotional connection. Establish a mutual beneficial relationship with other business people and potential clients/ customers. Meet with the group members individually so you get to know them better and try to build quality connections. Consider other group members as resources. focus on the group; listen and think about how you can help them. Focus on giving. Build trust within the group.
Business consulting management is in the practice of assisting companies enhance their efficiency and overall performance. The procedure requires examining the existing issues within the organization and developing plans for performance improvement. There are many reasons companies need the services of management consultants. Some of these include getting third party observation and access to specific skills set and expertise. Management consultants have specific training to handle different organizational issues.
Instead of stressing over different problems in your company, you can have someone more knowledgeable look at it. Third parties also have an easier time spotting problems in organizations. Being part of a company makes it hard to see problems at once. You are often used to how things work and any faults or issues would be difficult unless something completely wrong happens. A view from the outside can easily spot the right and wrong operations.
The effectiveness of third party professional services encouraged a surge of providers offering business consulting solutions. Consulting firms represent the idea of "best practices." Adhering to best practices allows organizations to stay afloat amidst the competition. People view organizations following best practices in a positive light.
Nonetheless, transfer or adoption of these practices is difficult to transfer all at once. Organizations have different adaptive abilities. Some can follow practices faster and more efficiently while others need some time. This is where business consulting comes in. An expert can guide you on what to do for the company to carry out best practices. Transferability of efficient procedures relies on the nature of business and operational scheme. Consultancies provide assistance in translating recommended procedures according to the nature of the company.
Services under management consulting include change management support, technology implementation, and creation of coaching skills, operational development, and creation of strategy. Business consultants can provide frameworks to work on your performance improvement. They also know different methodologies to figure out problems in your company. Make sure to find someone keen on identifying problems first. You cannot start developing and improving your company if you do not know what is wrong.
Problem identification allows you to develop corresponding strategies. You can properly align methods to address the issues. This also guides what tasks should be there. There are categories under business consultation attempting to solve specific organizational issues. Identify your specific niche and see what consultation services you need.
Find a good consultation provider to make sure you improve your organization. You should work with a proficient and experience consultant. The quality of your consultant determines how much improvement you can make. Search the internet for possible contractors. It is a good source of companies and client feedback. See which providers companies are talking about. Client feedback and ratings offer great information when choosing companies to work with.
Most clients are eager to discuss their experience on providers. Select those with high ratings and narrow choices to three or five. Ask for their list of business plan tools. Verify their costs. You should find someone within your budget. There is no point in working with someone you cannot afford.
Do not expect to receive benefits right away. Do volunteering work for network groups to stay visible and give back. As a responsible Information Technology you must show up regularly and on time, show others how you deal with business meetings and associates. Give quality referrals and leads. If someone gives you a referral, follow up on it in a timely manner. Follow through quickly and efficiently on referrals you are given. Take a referral seriously.
Don’t spam on social networks. Use the platforms designed for Information Technology to build relationships and expand your network.
Limit self-promotion. Don’t sell. Build relationships. Be as helpful as you can. Share relevant information with others as people love to learn new things. Participate in discussions. Let others know you’re real. Be approachable. Treat your online connections just as valuable as your offline connections.